Broken Cycles

My parents were divorced when I was really little. In all honesty it's probably a miracle I'm even here today. Because Lord knows my real dad was never cut out to be a dad in the first place.
At least, not any kind of dad a kid deserves.

I couldn't tell you when his birthday is.
He didn't walk me down the aisle.
He's never met my daughter.

I guess to one another we are simply two people who happen to share DNA.

I can't tell you the pain you experience as a child when you feel like you aren't wanted by one of the two people who should want you most.
It's something that roots down deep into who you are.



Fast forward to watching Zak be daddy to a beautiful baby girl.
My heart doesn't even know how to handle the way he dotes on her. The way he concerns himself with her every moment of every day.
How hands on he is in raising her.
It's something I never knew.

It's something I notice, maybe more than others who just expect it.

He's the ultimate dad. Not perfect, but she'll think so.
and one day when she's looking to get married he'll be a hard act to follow.

In my case when I was dating all I wanted was a man vastly different than my real dad. I wanted the polar opposite in every aspect.
For Lennox she'll measure all men by the standard her daddy has set in her life...and let me tell you, it will be a task for someone to live it up to it.

The way they love each other is something I never experienced myself, but man is it good to see. There is a lot of redemption in that for me.

Because when you grow up  a certain way you don't have to feel like you are doomed to repeat those things when you have a marriage and children of your own.
You get to decide the cycle your life will take.

Now Zak grew up with a dad who was always present. His kids never wondered if he loved them, and throughout adulthood you can tell.

Zak is an amazing husband, he's an amazing dad. And while he has his moments of falling short, I know without a shadow of a doubt that Lennox will be daddies little girl until the moment she's called home hopefully 80-90 years from now.

And for her entire life she'll be loving him....so will I.

Comments

Popular Posts