The lies we believe: part one

I bought in.

To all of it. All of the time.

I was stupid.
I was worthless.
I was too much.
I was not enough.

And every other negative thing that was ever said to or about me. I whole heartedly believed these people must see me and know something I didn't.


I know my story isn't that far off from a million other girls, who like me, were (and are) trying to find the space where they truly fit.
The truest version of themselves. After all the lies are stripped away. After we dig, and pray, and claw our ways to find who we are and who we want to be.
It's a painful process of deciding to find out who you are, what you believe, and what you want to stand for.

Because it's not always pretty. Peeling back layer after layer of the lies you've believed about yourself. The things you've allowed to hold you back from your true potential your entire life.

Let's dig into these together and get to the root of the issue.

Lie: I was stupid.

I'm gonna get real with y'all. I never made failing grades because my parents would have killed me. A "c" was unacceptable in our home. And so I always tried in school. I made A/B honor roll for most of my life. But I'd be flat out lying to you if I didn't say this: Math was then and is now the absolute death of me.
Algebra nearly broke me. In high school and in college. I STRUGGLED. I still struggle. If I don't have a calculator near by don't even ask me anything math related.
And can I just tell you, that even to this day my palms get sweaty and I have this deep feeling of shame when someone asks me something math related...
I am a grown woman. And I clam up.
I feel like a complete idiot in those moments.

But the older I get the more I realize that we can't all be good at everything.
I'm creative, and gifted in English, Writing, and History. That's the way my brain works, and that's okay. Because the Lord wired me this way.

I don't have to be some math genius to feel competent. Who cares if I need a calculator when my husband can literally do most math problems in his head.
That's fine. We compliment each other in a lot of ways, and this is just one of them.

I'm done buying the lie that because I struggle with something that it defines me as "stupid."

Enough of that nonsense. I'm putting that lie behind me and claiming the truth.

And even if your struggle is something entirely different from mine, but you still relate to feeling dumb
LISTEN UP: You are smart and capable.
Now repeat that to yourself until you believe it!

Comments

Popular Posts