Until I see you again

Missing someone never really goes away. There are days I don't think of you as often, and there are days that pass that I don't think of you at all. But then there are days of missing you that hit me like a wave in the sea.

Today marks 4 years since the last time the world felt your warmth, heard your laugh, or was embraced in one of your bear hugs. I can't believe that 4 years have passed so quickly.
Just the other day Zak's mom was talking about how she didn't get to grow up with a grandpa, and I thought how sad that must have been.

It was sad because I did grow up with one. One of the best the world has ever seen.
What made you so great was the way you loved. You loved even when you didn't have to, you gave even when you had little to give. You stepped up to be the worlds best paw paw even when your son walked away.

Now that I'm older and have a child of my own I often think about you. I think about how you stuck around even when my biological dad didn't. It would have been easy for you to not care. To simply forget about us or brush us off. But you never did.
You went out of your way to make sure you were a part of our lives. Even when we moved to Tennessee, you made sure you came to visit us.

I'll never forget that. That is sacrificial love. You taught me that. You spent a lifetime apologizing and trying to make up for your son leaving us. You were amazing.

I wish more than anything that Lennox could have met you. There will never be another Paw Paw Johnny.
I promise to tell her about you every chance I get.
I promise that every time she says "I'm hungry" to respond with "I'm Meagan, nice to meet ya hungry"
I promise to find an old chevy truck, a back roads oil road and sit Lennox in my lap to let her "drive"
I promise to love her with a sacrificial love.


I miss you, and I love you. Until I see you again.




Comments

Popular Posts