they never dull

there are moments in your life that are so significant that they don't seem to dull with the passing of time. I have moments like that, they seemed small when they were happening but as I look back I realize that they were some of the greatest moments I have ever known.
sometimes it's the things that seem small in the moment that turn out to change your life in ways you'd never see coming.

  • the first time I met the man that would become my husband- looking back I wish I could live in that moment. though I'd change my first words to him, which happened to be "do you ever not smile?!". (I've learned over time that the answer to that question is no, he's filled with more joy than anyone I've ever met and its contagious)
  • watching my mother and father in law love each other. sometimes its unreal to witness. 30 years in and they still hold hands, pops still opens her door and calls her by her very unique pet name. it's adorable and inspiring all at the same time.

  • becoming my mom's friend. I'm thankful that I can call my mom my friend now, it's not like we weren't close while I was growing up but my mom understood the importance of being a mother instead of trying to be my best friend, and I'm so lucky that she did.

 

  • watching my sister become a mom. there's nothing like motherhood, and watching her bring my two favorite little people into this big world is something that has changed me for the better. there are some people who just really embrace being an aunt, and I am proudly one of those people.

  • rescuing both of our pups- gracie and callie have been the best "kids" before kids I could have ever wished for. they bring joy and silliness into our home, and if you aren't a dog person than this blog isn't really a place for you.
there are also moments that change you so deeply you just know you'll never be the same-

  • the day I walked down an aisle lined with flowers, and held the hand of a man I pledge to love every day for the rest of my life. that's a promise I intend to keep, I'm certainly not a perfect wife, but through each and every imperfection he's there. he's the best half of us.

  • the day I saw two pink lines appear, and the day I had to say goodbye to our precious baby Riley. I don't know if Riley was a boy or a girl, but I know that I'm Riley's mom, and as soon as I'm called home I'll take Riley in my arms, and feel perfectly at home. nothing changes you more than losing a baby- it's something I'll carry with me for the rest of my life, but I praise God who gives and takes away.
  • the first time we met our sweet Raegon. wow, talk about a moment that the Lord orchestrated. I never knew that one little girl, could completely rock our worlds. but she did. she awakened a desire to foster/adopt that was always in our hearts, but not necessarily in our near future plans. One weekend with her changed everything, and as we enter into a new stage of life I'm so thankful for the time we had with Raegon- she has forever changed our lives.
You see there are moments that are so precious that you just need to spend some time looking back on them. I have days where I don't remind myself that I am richly blessed, there are days I sit and wonder why, and it doesn't even matter what the "why" is attached to.
I am richly blessed. there's no doubting that Christ has had his hand in each of these moments, because even a split second and all of them could have been different. I'm going to spend this Christmas season daily reminding myself that the Lord has seen fit to bless my life, that doesn't mean there hasn't been heartache- because I feel the deep ache in my heart each time I think of my sweet Riley- but I also feel immense joy in knowing that Lord can take much better care of Riley and of me than I ever could. Thank God that he sent Jesus to us- Thank God that because of His great mercy we can be one with Him- I thank God for Christmas. I thank God for each of these moments.

What are the moments in your life that just won't lose their sparkle? Thank God for them.

Comments

Popular Posts