it's a love story

With Valentines Day two days away I thought I'd share a little bit of Zak and I's love story.

He very "politely" told me that I needed to add more variety to my blog, so I thought what's more original than a post about love days away from February 14th....(cue the eye roll).

Try to stick with me, or else I'll be forced into using one of the topics that he suggested, which included:
  1. Blog post about Alaska.
  2. Blog post about Real Estate.
  3. or a Blog post about a Caribbean Vacation.
I'm all for writing about #1 or #3 but feel I'd be doing you and myself an injustice if I didn't first visit Alaska or Mexico (again) before I blogged about. So Senior, if you're reading this- I'd be more than happy to write about what you suggest just as soon as you plan our next vacation to either of these lovely places. If my blog is anything, it's accurate...(most of the time).

This is where our story begins...sort of.. this is where I met Zak Lowry for the very first time. It was November 2009 and I was right in the middle of my first semester of college. I vividly remember what we were both wearing the day we met -my "outfit" and I use that term VERY loosely here consisted of red nike shorts, my black CBC Softball hoodie, and a pair of tennis shoes...no wonder I caught the guys eye. I'm lucky I didn't end up on thepeopleofwalmart.com in that get up. Anyways, I kept noticing him the entire night, which isn't hard to do since he's 6'6. I walked right up to him and said "do you ever not smile"...I know, I know- I'm nothing if not charming.
We talked for a few minutes and then we went our separate ways. Thinking back on it now I'm surprised I remember so much about that night, because honestly I have trouble remembering what I ate two days ago. Seriously such a God thing- long before I knew Zak would mean so much to me, I'm convinced He knew- and so all these years later I remember these details because of it. Anyways, we both walked away from that night and had very little interaction other than the few times I "casually" stumbled onto his Facebook page.

 can ya blame me?
Even though we walked out "The House" that november night without knowing much about each other, Zak always seemed to Facebook message me on nights that I had a date. And there's no way he could have known I was going out with someone else, but without fail it seemed to continually happen. I should have realized then that  that wasn't really random at all, God has a way of preparing you for whats to come. Fast forward 6 months or so, and you'll see our story took a very important turn. We ran into each other again at a CBC Basketball game- a year had passed since I met him for the first time, and He finally asked me out on a date: November 4, 2010. Being with Zak was effortless, he makes falling in love with him so easy. He didn't ask me to be anything more than I was- but being with him brought out the best version of me. I never really threw around the "he's the one" phrase but when I was with him I knew he was. If you know him, than you already know there's something special about him. And I'm not just saying that because he's my husband- because there are days I could choke slam him- not literally because I'd have to first find a ladder to climb to even reach his neck, and by the time I did that the entire stealth mode you need to actually be able to choke slam someone is gone. He's the type of person you want to know, he's loyal, and loving, and a much better person than I'll ever be. I'm not lying when I say that he's the better half of us. I'm lucky.
Our relationship has never been, nor will it ever be perfect, but I can't imagine life without him. I can't imagine waking up or falling asleep next to anyone else. He's my absolute best friend. I never have to pretend to be someone I'm not, because he loves me for exactly who I am (all the bad hair, chunky cheeks, and annoying qualities that I posses) He challenges me to love the Lord deeper every single day, he encourages me to follow my dreams. I used to picture what I wanted in a future husband, but he blew that list so far out of the water that some days I literally sit back and wonder what I did to deserve him.
He completely swept me off my feet, we dated for around a year before he asked me to be his wife- I know a year doesn't sound like a very long time, I've owned sweaters for longer than a year before I decided if I really even liked it or not- but with Zak, a year felt like a lifetime.
We haven't been married for too terribly long- almost 3 years- but I'd still say yes if he asked me today. I'd still feel like I hit the jack pot. I'd still cry those hot tears of joy that a man like Zak Lowry would want to spend the rest of his life with me.
I can be a hot mess most days, but he's always cool and collected. When I want to panic about something, he acts like it doesn't phase him at all. I pray our kids are more like him than me.

Zak,
I love you more than you will ever know. Thank you for loving me the way you do. Thank you for putting Christ first, and me second. Our lives are better because of it. You are the best thing that's ever been mine. Thank you for being so smoking hot. Like seriously...you're a tall glass of water. I'm lucky to be the girl you want, and even luckier to have you in my corner. You'll never know how much I look up to and respect you. Thank you for being goofy, for reminding me to not take life too seriously. You are my best friend, and my biggest cheerleader. Thank you for providing for our family the way you do- both spiritually and financially. You are a man among men.
you're my forever valentine.
" When I look in his eyes, I don’t see perfection. I don’t see a love story that would necessarily be something people would watch on a big screen and dream about. I see someone who will fight for me and protect me and love me in spite of all the ways I am still a wreck. I see home. Wherever he is. That’s my home.”-The Antelope in the Living Room, Melanie Shankle




ps- at least we can say our love will last longer than The House did.

Comments

Popular Posts